www.flickr.com

Latestest

This can usually be found on Twitter.

Thursday, August 26, 2004

 
Locking the door?

Since I am so obviously on a roll (and, happily, slowly regaining an appetite - yay!), I thought I'd post my comments on a blog entry by a friend of mine. Obviously, that's whats blogs are for, right? To examine the world through the power of words, to debate, to discuss, to explore - to discover what lies beyond the edge. (which edge? Whichever edge, I think. The edge of knowledge or the edge of man. All edges are equally exciting).

I've already picked up about five big mistakes (spelling, grammar, whatever) in my blog so far. Hmmmm. Never mind; I hope you'll all forgive me and let me be for now (and maybe I'll respond to some other stuff later in the night? Once I'm nicely fed and everything).

Okay, yeah, back to the post. Hiding in our own inner self. Admit it, we all do it to some extent or another. It's good to have a place to hide, when the whole world is getting you down. But: what happens once it becomes a problem? When your hiding place begins to smell of too much living, and you need to get out and smell the fresh air for a while? What happens when the room becomes a prison?

Before I go there, let me think about something else first: what value is there in "advising" someone? It's been argued that you can't really affect a person by just advising them - which is silly, really. If someone is too stupid to take the suggestion you're giving them, that's their call. It oughtn't to be your business. But what about people who will just refuse to "let you in" any other way? Well, right now, my position to that is: if they don't want you in, they don't want you in. Live with it. If you're life ain't interesting enough for you to want to live in it (instead of other people's lives) for a while, well, go work on it, but for chrissake leave other people alone.

Coming back, though: so what happens when your room becomes a prison? I say, you're locked in, you've lost your key - break down the door! I've found nothing in the world - not love, not confidence, not even self-worth - is half as useful as a good solid ounce of sheer courage. It's not that hard, either (I think): largely, you just have to pretend to be strong, and you are!

Of course, I've had more weak moments - courageless moments - than I can count. But I've also had my moments of sheer guts (okay, mostly either to impress a girl or just out of exasperation and don't-care-any-more, but still!). Yeah, and they're good, generally. Pushing yourself (even emotionally) just slightly beyond your limits, it's a good feeling.

The secret to a good life, I think, is overcoming your limitations. And that - always - takes courage.

This post was posted by Unknown at 9:47 pm

Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home