www.flickr.com

Latestest

This can usually be found on Twitter.

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

 
To the Unnamed Gupte

Hello, there. As with all conversations in the future, it's hard to know exactly what to say, and what you'll want to know - what's important to keep, really. But this being my blog and all, I feel a little entitled to say what I like. So here goes.

I first heard about you around April 7, 2008. You were born, I hear, on September 29, 2008, at 7:05pm CDT (Central Daylight Time), which corresponds to Sep 30, 12:05 midnight at UTC, and 8:05am SGT in Singapore, where I was at the time. I didn't find out about it until I got an e-mail at 10:29am SGT.

September 2008 will probably be a nice time to be born - things are bad, but will get better, I hope. Global warming is all the BBC talks about - will all the horrific predictions come true by the time you grow up? The credit crunch is worstening, as America's economy slowly slides backwards. A global recession might start up soon. Voting has begun for the next American presidential election: will it be Obama or McCain? We'll know in a month and a week, or something like that. J. B. Jeyaretnam, a Singaporean opposition stalwart, died yesterday. I hope to be able to fly to America and meet you sometime next year.

There have been bomb blasts in India all through 2008. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan continue, with Iraq getting slightly better and Afghanistan getting worse - but Pakistan is getting worse and worse. Russia invaded Georgia last month, and now everybody's worried about them nibbling at NATO's eastern edge.

I'm bored, so I'll stop; if there were any decent newspapers in Singapore, I'd've kept copies, but this - and, maybe, the rest of this blog - is all I've got. So there.

Labels: ,

This post was posted by Unknown at 11:34 am

Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home