www.flickr.com

Latestest

This can usually be found on Twitter.

Saturday, March 20, 2004

 
Bootstrap Time?
Warning: The following post might contain computer and hacker terminology. The author exercises his right to be a geek, and to be proud of it. Apologies to all you non-geeks out there. Bootstrapping might well be my favourite word in the computing world (but only because Perl isn't just a word!). "Bootstrap", I've been told, comes from the phrase "to life up by [one's] bootstraps", meaning to ... well ... I never quite understood the phrase, actually. But to bootstrap something, is to get it into a half-working state, and then activate the half-working state to go and finish the job. Never mind. The point is, right now, I think I need to bootstrap my life. Go from zero (my present state, atleast before dinner; although if studies is the number one thing on my mind right now - and it is! - I probably need bootstrapping too, but i digress), as I was saying, Go from zero to one hundred. Probably (possibly?) by getting to 20% first, then getting the 20% to push me the rest of the way. Of course, I really have no idea what 20% is, or what it's supposed to mean inmy life right now. Then again, with exams around the corner, I guess I really don't have the time. Will leave with a nice quote about what writing (and blogging?) are about:
I often ask people what is their definition of a "writer." They usually tell me: "Somebody who has published books or articles" or "A person who makes their living by writing." I disagree. I think somebody who writes everyday and looks at the workaday world through the prism of literature and words is a writer. Period. If a person everyday honestly strives to get at the heart of a matter and glean the truth out of the complexity of this world and we human beings through the written word, than that person is a writer, in my opinion. It is a matter of attitude and a way of life, not how you pay your bills or whether you have talent or not. Ray Bradbury

This post was posted by Unknown at 10:44 pm

Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home