www.flickr.com

Latestest

This can usually be found on Twitter.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

 
You know what's really nice?

And I don't mean just nice, right, I mean, like, really, really nice?

That's where you have a dream so real, so immersive, so entirely beautiful and interesting and perfect that you don't realise it's not real. That's beautiful.

The point that proves it: dream just now, a Story in Two Parts. Part Une involved flying my cousin brother's (!) large labrador (!!) puppy (!!!) from Bombay to Bangalore. And yes, I said "labrador puppy": at various points in the dream, the dog shrank to small enough that he could've fit in a cage on my lap (he didn't; the dream "jumped" over the plane trip entirely, detailing only the long, fairly eventful trip to the airport).

Airport achieved, my brain sorta flopped around for a bit before coming up with a movie dinner/random building (it was a random building on the way out, but a movie dinner on the way in; I should also point out that by "movie dinner" I mean one of those fancy premiere/reception dinner type things, with the lawn tables and chairs, and little vases and whatnot all over the place.

After some pretty weird going-ons at the hospital, a group of friends and I left the building. Like driving to the airport, this simple action seemed to go on and on, with much walking forward, oops, forgot something, everybody goes back, then down the path again. Somewhere in the midst of it, another friend of mine seemed to have developed a huge crush on this other girl (that one was a figment of my imagination). Fun times.

And how convincing was this dream? Despite plenty of warnings (like, what actually happened to the dog at the end of part 1, anyway?), when I was walking back to the school/random building (whatever for?), while a "movie dinner" was going on around my head, I saw a "commemoration" of some sort, written by a certain Mr. Shubtill (spelled "ShubTil" in the dream), and I was so completely fascinated that somebody could actually have that name (it's a semi-famous anagram for a pretty famous word) that I tried to take out my camera and take a photo, realised that I didn't have my camera (or I would've taken photos of the "weird going-ons", wouldn't I?), my brain tried to "slip" it in without my conscious mind noticing, except it did, and everything sorta collapsed on itself.

In other, not-so-happy news, some guy with a gun went nuts at Virginia University, killing 31 people (the worst school shooting in US history). As somebody else pointed out, that's peanuts compared to the number of civilians dying in Baghdad every week (oops, my bad: apparently, five hundred died in Iraq last week, 21 of them children. So, no, not really comparable). Not that this isn't a horribly tragedy, too. Ah, well. So it goes.

Labels: , , , ,

This post was posted by Unknown at 4:22 am

Comments:

Maybe my mother will realize at long last that U Alabama (which I got rejected from) is not so much safer than [posh nyc medical institution]. And that there are people other than antisemites who can be dangerous (Good asian boys! Who could have thought?). And maybe she will stop bugging me about the fact that I have no Chinese/Korean friends (she used to fantasize about me marrying a nice Korean doctor). And maybe Israel and Syria will make friends tomorrow. People will stop attempting to scoop my work. And the sun will rise in the west. One can always hope, no? I wish I could use this to convince my family that racial stereotypes BAD, human GOOD, and in their eyes some minorities are more equal than others. Ok shall stop being so "angsty grad student" now... 

Post a Comment

<< Home