www.flickr.com

Latestest

This can usually be found on Twitter.

Friday, March 26, 2004

 
It Wasn't Meant To Be This Way!
It is against the grain of modern education to teach children to program. What fun is there in making plans, acquiring discipline in organizing thoughts, devoting attention to detail, and learning to be self-critical? -- Alan Perlis
The only times I realise how much my opinion of computers has changed whenever I read this line :). Remember reading it a while back and thinking about how true it is. Tonight, I look at it and wonder, "Gee, what's so weird about that?" I don't like programming for the exact opposite reason that I fall in love: because I don't like who I am when I'm programming. I become obsessed with the problem, and sit and try to solve it for ages. Honestly, that's not what I want to do with my life. I want to do thinking stuff (though, of course, I never think) and working stuff (though, I never work, either). Somebody once said that if the documentation and code of a program differ, they're probably both wrong. In my life, right now, my goal and my situation differs tremendously - but then again, they differ in ways that I want to change: I want to (or need to) become harder-working, more focussed, more determined, more mature (sorry, love, i just had to put that one in!); but I don't know how. Or maybe ... oh, I don't know. I need time out. I need to think and mull and figure out things. I need a vacation! I'm going back home in December, I don't care if just for a week or something. I need time off. I need to sit back and - I don't know - re-evaluate my life? Reprioritise? Or just sleep on open meadows, watching the clouds go by overhead? This is no good. No good. I'm seriously worried how bad this sem's gonna get. In the midst of all this, also getting worried about recess week. Hehe ... I wonder what'll happen then and there this time?

This post was posted by Unknown at 4:34 am

Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home