www.flickr.com

Latestest

This can usually be found on Twitter.

Saturday, February 16, 2008

 
The Life and Death of Peter Sellers

Just saw The Life and Death of Peter Sellers on DVD just now. Good movie? Bad movie? Hard to tell - I roughly agree with a review I saw at the IMDb (which I can't find now, dagnabit), which said that it wasn't that great a movie, but it was competently done and seemed to do a good job of bringing Mr. Sellers to life.

But, oh man. Oh the loneliness. You end up feeling all the wretchedness and sadness and ... tinyness, I guess, maybe. One of the cunning tricks the movie - and I do wish (as usual) that they'd left the deleted scenes in! - played was by simply not letting you care about anybody other than Peter. The narcissism - and the sincere inability to deal with others - is palpable.

Listening to the Goons also gives you a bit more perspective on the lines: there's a scene where Peter is standing at the top of a staircase at the premiere of The Revenge of the Pink Panther (I think?), and he says something like "Thank you for coming, everybody" - as Bluebottle!

But I also agree that a movie about Peter Sellers' life ought to have been a bit funnier. Ah well, ah well - after long chats with several (i.e. more than one) friends online, I'm feeling a bit more prepped on life. So: do I admit it's getting better? Not unless my war-mongering skills on Civilization 4 don't improve!

Labels: , , ,

This post was posted by Unknown at 4:07 am

Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home