www.flickr.com

Latestest

This can usually be found on Twitter.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

 
It's Over!(ish)

To be precise: where are we?

Today's Towel Day, but the best I could do was bring a towel to lab and leave it lying on the back of my chair.

Tonight I really must get the initiative and actually watch one of the final NGE thingies (Death, Rebirth, and the Movie). I mean, seriously. Today was a classic example of why sometimes it's best not to turn up for work, just lie back and stone, and let everything pass you by ... because the frustration of work just boggles the mind, and makes you feel even worse, which is not very nice.

And I need to figure out someone else who can write me a recommendation letter.

I am so going crazy this weekend. Gah. I need to. Really. Just. Gah.

(In other news: rapidly approaching deadlines! Thump thump thump thump. Within a week, I am moving into my new place. Within a week, I need to buy tickets back home, regardless of how much still-in-mid-air everything is. Within a month, I will be home. Within two, I'll have a job of some sort. Maybe.)

No matter what anybody might say, the "original" ending (I'm sure there's a technical term for that, but never mind) of Evangelion ... well, I won't say it kicks ass, because that sounds objective, but I love it. It's a delicious mix of brainfuck, philosophy, and just straight comedy (always laugh once Shinji "gets it", and Asuka *screams* something like "NOW he gets it, that IDIOT?! After ALL that explaining?!"), and it ... somehow ties things together rather well. It's a nice look back at the series, and a look forward into the post-ending life of Shinji Ikari etc. And it's great to hear all those voices all over again, and - for once! - be able to recognize just about everybody in the story.

It also makes a very elegant close. The Angels progress, getting stronger and stronger, better and better, and - of course - closer and closer to reuniting with Adam (maybe?), in Terminal Dogma (why?), because then they would explode (Really?) and destroy the world (I bet ...). The absolute terror of it closer and closer, but is caught up in the web of intrigue until nobody's really sure about anything anymore ... not giant robots, not Adam, not Angels, not people, not anything. There is, as Death puts it so very nicely, nothing - but us.

I love the style of it, as well. Rap-rap-rap come the questions, and the answers from Shinji, Ayanami and Asuka; reality and animation mix and twist and flow, sometimes one way, sometimes the other, but the overall path is straight as a train on a high bridge - rattle, crackle, but it's still going straight.

Just got my grades. I knew something like this was coming, but even I am impressed by the sheer order and logic of it all - and I got more in Financial than I did in Money?! No matter. I leave NUS with one major, two minors (!!! CZ and Econs! Brilliant!), one co-authored (third- or fourth-authored, really) paper, one piece of decent Free software, some dreams, a coupla crushes, good friends, and ... memories.

Yay!

This post was posted by Unknown at 5:22 pm

Comments:

congrats, dude. life begins NOW. 

=) Thank you! 

Post a Comment

<< Home