www.flickr.com

Latestest

This can usually be found on Twitter.

Friday, September 29, 2006

 
Taking sides

Saw the Trivia section of the Tintin in Tibet page on Wikipedia just now. Apparently Hergé's estate blocked publication of a Chinese version under the title "Tintin in China's Tibet", thanks to the post-mortality copyright extensions that I'm so against. If we ever succeed, and copyright extensions are cut, and classics like Tintin fall into the public domain, does that mean anybody can reinterpret history as they want? And how do we know that hasn't happened already? Some "wise" scholar rewriting Shakespeare to put more drama into it, or meticulously correcting the sexism in Don Quixote to make it "relevant"?

I suppose, oddly enough, that what's going to save them is - of all things - the Copyright System itself. If I draw "Hergé's Tintin in China's Tibet, adapted by Gaurav Vaidya", then as a derivative work I own the copyright over this version of the book. And between an album by Gaurav Vaidya and Hergé, who do you suppose Mr. Publisher is going to print? Particularly when they'll need to pay me royalities, but not Mr. Hergé.

So it's all good. Except that I really oughtn't to be at work this friggin' late, particularly when I'm really just wasting time to accumulate time up, as I owe the lab so much last week and have no real need to be up on - or anywhere near - time tomorrow. Unfortunately, this means all the good food places are closed. Sigh.

This post was posted by Unknown at 9:52 pm

Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home