www.flickr.com

Latestest

This can usually be found on Twitter.

Saturday, October 18, 2008

 
OMG

MacOS X 10.5 "Leopard" is as fantastic as everybody says it is!

It's ridiculously pretty (duh), has a nice, crisp loop compared to Tiger's more hazy feel. The laptop feels a little bit snappier, but that might just be me. The new Mail.app is as good as I thought it would be; and I can't wait to dive into all the other apps that I have to play with.

First things first, though; right now, am copying files off my old 80GB hard-disk onto my Mac (via "Karanth", my very old Linux laptop, no less! The poor dear is literally groaning under the strain, but that's only because the fan is pretty clogged up, old and noisy. For the geeks: I've mounted the Ext2 partition onto Karanth, connected the two laptops together with Cat5 - don't you love how Macs don't need crossover cables?! - and am now using `scp' to do the copy). Once this is done (it's almost finished half a gig in five minutes or so; for the full 10 gigs, that 100 minutes or around an hour and a half), I'll reformat the hard-disk, set it up as a Time Machine backup, and go to sleep while my computer backs up as much of itself as it can. That way, whatever happens, I'll have something to restore my computer off of. Like I said, I've already got e-mails and photos backed up, but I'd prefer everything to stay the way it is, if at all possible, thanks!

If I can keep my laptop moving until next month, I might invest in a "proper", full-disk backup solution like the 1TB Time Capsule. Even my entire home folder isn't going to fit on my current hard-disk! But that's all details for another day: if my computer should die tomorrow, I want something saved somewhere, and I hope that this is going to be the ticket.

P.S. Leopard is much smarter about RSS feeds than Tiger was - for instance, of course the feeds should go with the e-mails! Opera's known this for ages, guys, try to keep up! Which means I have much less of an excuse to miss your posts. So more commenting for all!

Labels: , , ,

This post was posted by Unknown at 12:59 am

Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home